WORKSHOP: Sew a Geranium Dress
Build your sewing skills with the Geranium Dress using the FREE Little Geranium pattern designed by Rae (your teacher) at her studio in downtown Ann Arbor. This sweet newborn-sized little baby dress is perfect for the confident beginner sewist to learn and practice basic garment sewing skills. Bonus: it makes an adorable baby gift!
This is a 2-part class, with 5 hours of total class time.
Session A - Tuesday - July 11, 2023 - 6:30 - 9 PM - Cutting and sewing the bodice
Session B - Wednesday - July 12, 2023 - 6:30 - 9 PM - Attaching the skirt, hems and buttons (if time permits)
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN:
- how to cut out a pattern on the fold
- how to apply interfacing
- how to sew seams, including curved seams
- seam finishing
- how to sew a lining
- buttons and buttonholes (if time permits)
Confident beginner - someone who knows how to sew, can operate their sewing machine without assistance, and has made a few basic projects already. Note this is not a learn-to-sew class for first time sewists.
SUPPLIES (YOU BRING):
- 2/3 yard of 44" wide woven cotton or cotton blend fabric (prewash and dry your fabric before class)
- Two 1.5" wide strips of light or medium weight fusible interfacing, each 4.5" long
- 3 buttons (1/2" - 5/8" recommended) or 3 snaps for back closure\
- Little Geranium pattern template and instructions, printed at 100%
TOOL LIST (YOU BRING)
- Sewing machine with straight stitches & zigzag stitches (or contact Rae to rent a machine)
- Pins or quilter's clips
- Fabric shears, smaller scissors or snips for trimming/clipping
- Seam ripper
- Chalk or water soluble fabric marker
- clear quilter's ruler
Rae provides irons and ironing boards, tables and cutting mats, and snaps/snap press if we run out of time for buttons
OTHER DETAILS AND CANCELLATION POLICY:
Number of participants is 4-6 people, age 16+ are welcome to participate.
Classes are taught be me - Rae Hoekstra - at my studio in downtown Ann Arbor. Details for accessing the building as well as final confirmation that the class will run will be emailed to you at least 48 hours before class begins. Your class fee will be fully refunded if we do not have enough students to run the class.
While we do understand that last minute schedule changes and emergencies do occur, your class fee reserves your spot and if we cannot fill your spot you will receive a 50% refund for cancellations at least 48 hours before the class session begins, with no refunds for cancellations less than 48 hours before class begins. Thanks for your understanding!